Once your teeth have been filled, especially if they have been filled for years, you tend to take them for granted. It’s not at the front of your mind that your tooth might break or that your filling might fall out. Of course those things could happen, just not to you, right? Well, let’s say it did. Let’s say that you have a huge filling in one of your molars and while you were eating your molar broke. There is no pain, but now you only have half a tooth, but the whole filling. What are your options?
First, your dentist will most likely want to examine the broken tooth and the surrounding teeth and gums. Next, he or she will probably take an x-ray. The x-ray will show many things, including:
- Whether or not the break is close to the nerve
- The amount of tooth structure remaining
- The height of the alveolar bone (the jaw bone around the tooth)
Once your dentist has taken all of the above factors into account, he or she will give you viable options for saving your tooth. Some of the options may include:
- If the underlying jaw bone is healthy the tooth may be saved via a root canal, a build-up, and a crown.
- Another option is a root canal, a post, and a crown.
- If the tooth broke under the bone, your dentist may advise extracting the tooth and replacing it with an implant, a bridge, or a partial denture).
The goal of your dentist is to provide you with an appropriate and effective treatment that will last as long as possible.
ABOUT YOUR RENO, NV, DENTISTS:
Dr. Brian Evans, Dr. William Wager, and our highly experienced team at Wager-Evans Dental are devoted to providing first-rate dental care to patients of all ages in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, NV, we proudly welcome residents from South Meadows, Double Diamond, Caughlin Ranch, Donner Springs, Meadowood, Sommersett, Arrow Creek, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our office, or contact us today by calling (775) 829-7700.