A dental crown is a fabricated tooth to restore the original damaged tooth. It is replicated in the shape of the original tooth, the same size and shade. It is to restore your chewing function and, of course, your smile. Some dental treatments are complex, like implants, while others are non- or minimally invasive. Placing a dental crown is not a complex procedure. It is minimally invasive and only requires a few steps.
How A Crown Is Placed
A crown procedure requires two visits to complete. The first visit includes:
- Numbing the area around the damaged tooth
- Preparing the tooth by removing the damage or decay to accommodate the dental crown
- Using a putty-like dental material to make an impression of the prepared tooth
- Placing a temporary crown to protect the tooth until the permanent crown is placed
- The dental impression will be sent to the lab
- The impression is used to fabricate a precise fit
The second visit includes:
- Removal of the temporary crown
- The tooth will be cleaned
- The permanent crown will be fitted and permanently bonded to the prepared tooth
There are several crown materials to choose from. Your dentist will discuss which type is best for your procedure based on where the tooth is located, how much force it endures during chewing, whether or not you grind and clench your teeth or have other damaging habits, and whether or not the crown is noticeable.
Depending on the choice of material and the crown placement, a dental crown can cost anywhere from $500 to $3,000.
ABOUT YOUR RENO, NV, DENTISTS:
Dr. Brian Evans, Dr. William Wager, and our highly experienced team at Wager-Evans Dental are devoted to providing first-rate dental care to patients of all ages in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, NV, we proudly welcome residents from South Meadows, Double Diamond, Caughlin Ranch, Donner Springs, Meadowood, Sommersett, Arrow Creek, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our office, or contact us today by calling (775) 829-7700.