How familiar are you with gum disease? Do you, for instance, know how gum disease can result in tooth loss? Do you know how to prevent gum disease? To test your knowledge about this potentially devastating disease, try the following quiz provided by your Reno dentists, Dr. William Wager and Dr. Brian Evans, and check your answers below.
Take the Quiz
- True or False: Gingivitis is the most damaging form of gum disease.
- True or False: Gum disease is untreatable.
- True or False: Gum disease increases the risk of heart disease.
Check Your Answers
- False. Gingivitis (the inflammation of the gums) may be only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to gum disease. If periodontitis develops, the ligaments and tissues that support teeth will be threatened. Periodontitis attacks these vital structures, and as they decay, teeth will loosen, causing them to shift and even fall out. Common symptoms of periodontitis include persistent bad breath, loose or shifting teeth, gums that bleed easily, and the development of pockets between the teeth and gums.
- False. While there is no cure for gum disease, there are several treatments for it. These treatments include antibiotics, deep cleaning, and sometimes even laser treatment. The goal of these treatments is to remove harmful bacteria to keep the damage from progressing.
- True. Studies have shown a link between gum disease and heart disease. Other health risks of gum disease include the risk of diabetes and certain cancers. The link to heart disease, however, is clearest. The same bacteria are present in heart disease that are present in gum disease, and both diseases involve inflammation, the hardening of the arteries being an inflammatory process.
Schedule a Visit with Your Reno Dentists
If you want to prevent gum disease, it is important that you attend regular dental cleanings. If you are past due for a cleaning, contact our 89502 dentist office today at 775-829-7700 to schedule an appointment with your Reno dentists, Dr. Wager and Dr. Evans. We are proud to serve patients in Reno, Sparks, Sun Valley, Spanish Springs, and surrounding communities.