As the primary person responsible for the health of your mouth, it is important that you take an active role in establishing good preventive care habits. To help you in this endeavor, your Reno NV dentists, Dr. William Wager and Dr. Brian Evans, are discussing several components that contribute to a thorough oral health regimen.
Step One: Perfect Your Homecare
Because preventive care is largely about removing harmful bacteria from the mouth, homecare is of prime importance. To ensure that your homecare is top-notch, try the following tips:
- Brush 2-3 times per day for a duration of 2-3 minutes.
- Floss at least once per day.
- Make sure you clean the front, back, and biting surfaces of every tooth.
- Angle the bristles of your toothbrush toward the gum line to remove harmful bacteria from the vicinity of the gums.
- Don’t brush or floss too hard as doing so can damage your teeth and gums.
Step Two: Establish Regular Dental Visits
Another important component of an oral health regimen is professional care. To ensure that your mouth remains healthy, it is important that you attend dental visits regularly. A good rule is to visit your Reno NV dentists, Dr. Wager and Dr. Evans, every six months barring no serious problems with your oral health.
Step Three: Recognize Troubling Symptoms
You can do a lot for your oral health by recognizing when things are starting to go wrong. Doing so allows you to seek treatment quickly, enabling a professional to intervene earlier. Here are a few warning signs to look out for.
- Bruxism. Bruxism (teeth grinding) can wear teeth down. Common symptoms include visible signs of wear on teeth, a sore jaw, and frequently sensitive teeth.
- Gum disease. Symptoms include sore gums, bleeding gums, red gums, persistent bad breath, pockets between teeth and gums, and loose or shifting teeth.
Schedule a Visit with Your Reno NV Dentists
Are you past due for a dental cleaning? If so, contact our 89502 dentist office at 775-829-7700 to schedule an appointment or a consultation with your Reno NV dentists, Dr. Wager and Dr. Evans. We are proud to serve patients in Reno, Sparks, Sun Valley, Spanish Springs, and surrounding communities.