Cavities aren’t the only dental issue there is to worry about. There are other things that can do damage to your teeth. Have you heard of attrition, abrasion, erosion? These are all forms of wear that can happen to your teeth. Whereas cavities can be painful, and you eventually become aware of them, you don’t always become aware of these other forms of wear until they are advanced. Take the quiz below to see how much you know about tooth erosion.
True or False
- True or False: The only bad thing about drinking soda is that it is high in sugar.
- True or False: The good news is you can still give your kids fruit juice and other beverages.
- True or False: You can prevent tooth erosion just by brushing your teeth right after drinking fruit juice or soda.
- True or False: Beverages are not the only things that wear down your children’s teeth.
- True or False: Tooth erosion can be treated.
- False: Soda is definitely high in sugar which causes cavities, but it is also high in acids that cause tooth erosion.
- False: Soda is not the only beverage high in acid content. Fruit juices are very acidic. In fact, it is healthier for your children’s teeth to eat fresh fruit than to drink fruit juice.
- False: Nothing combats the effects of acid on your teeth. Acidic beverages cause damage to your teeth within the first 30 seconds of contact.
- True: Tooth erosion is on the rise among children and it isn’t only due to beverages. Children can suffer tooth erosion from commonly undiagnosed acid reflux and bruxism, grinding and clenching their teeth.
- False: You may not realize your child has tooth erosion until the damage becomes noticeable. Once this happens dental treatment will be required. Therefore it is important to try to prevent erosion from happening
About Your Reno Dentists
Dr. William Wager, Dr. Brian Evans, and our highly experienced team at Wager Evans Dental are devoted to our patients and their families, and dedicated to providing first-rate dental care in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, we proudly welcome residents from Spanish Springs, Sparks, Incline Village, Dayton, Fernley, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our office, or contact us today by calling (775) 829-7700.