One of the most important things your child can learn early in life is how to maintain healthy hygiene. While hygiene is important for every part of the body, oral hygiene is particularly important because it has such a power over your overall health.
As family dentists, the Wager Evans Dental team wants to help you instill quality habits in your child, and it’s never to early to start. Teaching your child how to brush their teeth properly is a great way to break the ice.
The American Dental Association teaches proper teeth brushing in just five simple steps.
1. Place the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle to the gums.
2. Move the brush back and forth gently in short strokes.
3. Brush the outer surfaces, the inside surfaces, and the chewing surfaces of all teeth.
4. To clean the inside surface of the front teeth, tilt the brush vertically and make several up-and-down strokes.
5. Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh.
It’s as easy at that! Of course, your child will need some assistance until they get the hang of it, but that is the perfect time to explain why healthy teeth are so important.
Demonstrate how fun brushing your teeth can be, and your child will quickly catch on. Also, remember to always be upbeat and positive when talking to (or in front of) your child about the dentist. This helps your child think of the dentist in a positive way, rather than associate dentist visits with negativity and fear.
Whether it’s time for your child’s first visit to the dentist, or you’ve been a patient of ours for years, we invite you to schedule an appointment at our Reno, Nevada office. We look forward to seeing you and your little one!