Only You Can Prevent Gum Disease
Posted July 7, 2011 by Wager-Evans Dental
Did you know that 80 percent of adults in the United States have gum disease, and the condition can cause major oral and systemic health issues? Luckily, gum disease is preventable. Together, you and the dentists at Wager Evans Dental can guard your health against gum disease.
- Brush your teeth twice daily. Brush for at least two minutes at a time. Be sure to gently clean and massage teeth and gums. This removes plaque and bacteria, both of which can cause gum disease.
- Floss at least once daily. This removes food debris, plaque, and bacteria from between teeth.
- Eat a balanced diet. Cut down on refined sugars, sodium, and saturated fats and eat plenty of vegetables and fruit (especially apples, carrots, and celery, which clean your teeth).
- Exercise regularly. A study by the Case Western Reserve University shows that exercising regularly and maintaining a normal weight can reduce severe gum disease risk by 30 percent.
- Visit your dentist. Schedule dental checkups and cleanings every six months. The dentist and hygienist can be sure that your teeth are plaque-free and they can check for signs of gum disease. At Wager Evans Dental, we offer Perio Protect to protect your mouth even further.
Dr. William Wager and Dr. Brian Evans can help you fight the battle against gum disease. Call our Reno, NV, dental practice today at (775) 800-4845. We offer preventive dentistry to patients in Spanish Springs, Sparks, Incline Village, Dayton, Fernley, and the surrounding area.