Sleep Apnea 101
Posted July 13, 2015 by Wager-Evans Dental
You may have heard of sleep apnea but are still unsure of what it is. Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that can affect anyone at any time. In fact, Shaquille O’Neal and Rosie O’Donnell are two celebrities known to suffer from sleep apnea. Did you know that general dentists can treat sleep apnea? How much do you know about sleep apnea? Do you want to know more? Take our fun true or false quiz below on Sleep Apnea 101 to learn more.
- True or False: Sleep apnea is when you can’t sleep through the night without waking up at least once.
- True or False: It has been estimated that about 22 million Americans suffer from sleep apnea.
- True or False: Most people who suffer from sleep apnea don’t know they have it.
- True or False: The only symptom of sleep apnea is loud snoring.
- True or False: Sleep apnea is harmless and has no side effects.
- False: Many people wake up in the night. Sleep Apnea is a chronic disorder that disrupts your sleep several times throughout the night and can lead to other serious conditions.
- True: There are three types of sleep apnea. Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common, and affects about 20 million Americans. It’s estimated that about 22 million Americans suffer from some type of sleep apnea.
- True: In most cases the person suffering from sleep apnea is not aware they have it. It is usually a sleep partner or family member who brings it to their attention because the loud snoring disturbs their sleep.
- False: Sleep apnea has many symptoms including: loud excessive snoring, breathing lapses, waking up without being aware of it, gasping, snorting, and choking during sleep.
- False: Left untreated sleep apnea can lead to more serious conditions. It also has a myriad of side effects including morning headaches, irritability, poor memory, difficulty making decisions, lapses in concentration, daytime sleepiness, falling asleep while driving, and depression.
Dr. Brian Evans, Dr. William Wager, and our highly experienced team at Wager Evans Dental are devoted to our patients and their families, and dedicated to providing first-rate dental care in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, we proudly welcome residents from Spanish Springs, Sparks, Incline Village, Dayton, Fernley, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our Reno, NV office, or contact us today by calling (775) 800-4845.