Do adults need fluoride treatments? You’re used to hearing about fluoride treatments for your children. They receive one every time they get a professional cleaning at the dentist, but what about adults? Take your Reno dentists, Dr. William Wager and Dr. Brian Evans’ true or false quiz below to see if adults need fluoride treatments.
True or False?
- T or F: Fluoride is a naturally occurring element in water and food so no one really needs fluoride treatments.
- T or F: Children need fluoride treatments because their teeth are young and fragile.
- T or F: Fluoride has been added to many municipal water supplies throughout the United States to help prevent cavities.
- T or F: It has been discovered that fluoride does not benefit adult teeth to the extent that it benefits children’s teeth.
- T or F: Adults do not need fluoride treatments.
- True and False: It’s true that fluoride occurs naturally in water and foods but at a very low level. Therefore, it is false that people do not need fluoride treatments.
- True: Not only are children’s teeth young and fragile, children don’t brush their teeth as well as adults do. Therefore, fluoride treatments are beneficial to the health of their teeth.
- True: When it was discovered that fluoride helps remineralize tooth enamel, strengthen teeth, and fight cavities, cities began adding it to their drinking water to help alleviate caries.
- False: Fluoride does not discriminate according to age. It benefits all teeth equally.
- False: Adults with the following issues can benefit from fluoride treatments–receding gums, diabetes, and dry mouth.
About Your Reno Dentists
Dr. William Wager, Dr. Brian Evans, and our highly experienced team at Wager Evans Dental are devoted to our patients and their families, and dedicated to providing first-rate dental care in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, we proudly welcome residents from Spanish Springs, Sparks, Incline Village, Dayton, Fernley, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our office, or contact us today by calling (775) 800-4845.