Have you ever had a tooth pulled? Did you wish your dentist would simply pull your tooth rather than perform a root canal? Have you ever had a root canal? Do you wonder why your dentist doesn’t just pull your tooth rather than do a root canal? There is a philosophy behind dentistry and that philosophy is to practice minimally invasive or conservative dentistry. Do you know what conservative dentistry is? Take our quiz below to find out what you know about conservative dentistry.
True or False?
- True or False: Conservative dentistry means your dentist is a Republican.
- True or False: Root canals were developed to help save teeth.
- True or False: The truth is that it is better to get rid of a decayed, infected, or damaged tooth rather than try to save it.
- False: Conservative–or minimally invasive–dentistry means that your dentist will try to save and preserve as many teeth as possible in an attempt to keep all of your original teeth for as long as you can.
- True: Fillings save teeth, but when the filling is too big, has reached into the tooth pulp, or there is simply too much damage, root canals were developed as another way to save badly damaged or infected teeth.
- False: It is better to try to save an infected, decayed, or damaged tooth rather than remove it. You cannot get your tooth back once it has been removed, and the more healthy tooth structure you lose the less options you have for saving the tooth. Losing teeth affects your looks, smile, and ability to bite and chew which can affect your overall health.
About Your Reno Dentists
Dr. William Wager, Dr. Brian Evans, and our highly experienced team at Wager Evans Dental are devoted to our patients and their families, and dedicated to providing first-rate dental care in a comfortable, inviting environment. Located in Reno, we proudly welcome residents from Spanish Springs, Sparks, Incline Village, Dayton, Fernley, and all surrounding communities. To schedule a consultation or your next dental appointment, visit our office, or contact us today by calling (775) 800-4845.